Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Walk, Another Look

I saw Chief’s ears perk up and felt her body tense at the end of the leash. The morning was cool, gray and rainy. Neither of us was particularly happy about being out in the elements, but this faithful pup had decided that she belonged wherever I happened to be. Right now, something, whether real or imagined I will never know, had caught her eye and reflexively I tightened my grip on the leash, wrapping it around my palm for good measure. I was prepared for the upcoming outburst; this goofy dog was incredibly predictable. She would first prance on her hind legs, barking hysterically – then she would add intermittent whining to the melody – all the while straining at the leash like a horse chomping at the bit eager to gallop. Yes, I was prepared. The collar was not. It broke away from her neck and she never looked back, darting down the sidewalk and out into the busy street, navigating single-mindedly toward the ravine on the other side.

In the early morning light, with windshield wipers flapping and the reflection of headlights on wet asphalt, the driver’s last minute braking efforts were futile. The thud of metal against black fur was deafening; it seemed that for that instant all other sound was ripped from the air. I saw my sweet puppy fly through the air, tossed like a leaf in the wind. My heart screaming as loudly as my voice, I raced after her, clambering down into the gully where she had landed. Screams shifted to a quiet murmur as I lifted her head, pulling us both from the icy water that had pooled there. The fates would not take her from me today. I would not allow it.

6 comments:

Loree said...

That made me sad. The writing reminded me of my old goofy Labrador.

Tess said...

Awww ... sorry to make you sad :( My dogs are goofy labs ... one old and one not so old who still acts like a puppy!! This was actually an assignment for school - same story, different voices.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note!! :)

LissaL said...

This story also reminded me of my old black lab, Captain! I miss you and your writing! Am on borrowed internet/computer time. Hoping by the new year to visit you more often!

Tess said...

Lissa ... wondered why you hadn't been around as much! I hope you have more time soon! Thanks for the comment ... you always brighten my days :)

Unknown said...

Hey Tess... Lost my pooch about a year ago. I think of her every day.

btw... I sent you a message at 6S, not sure if you got it. It was regarding a flash piece.

Tess said...

Ant...thanks for the comment...losing a furry friend is always hard. Fortunately my story ended happily and she is sleeping happily at my feet. I'll head over to Six to find your note! :)