Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Imperturbability

"Stoics sought (peace of mind and tranquility of the soul) through practicing "imperturbability," the acceptance of one's lot with serenity and courage."

In reading (again) through
"The Consequences of Ideas" by R. C. Sproul (from which the above quote is taken) this week, a 'new' word jumped out at me. This is one of those books that I've read over and over again since it was published five years ago... because every time I read it a new nugget appears that I never noticed before.

I've always been a bit enamored of the Stoics. Not totally, because I could never completely buy into a concept without a God... but still enamored of the philosophy to an extent. Sproul's nutshell wrap up of the section in the book says

"The views of the ancient Stoics constitute what we now describe as a stoical attitude toward life, the philosophy of the "stiff upper lip," by which nothing ever rattles us or causes us to despair. When one perfects the practice of imperturbability, the soul remains in a state of tranquil bliss."

I know that the only real peace I can ever achieve comes from a source far greater than myself... and that it is a peace that can't be explained or understood. But I still long for a life of tranquil bliss... and struggle daily with the part of me that gets in the way of that. I long for that state of "imperturbabality".

No comments: