Friday, October 10, 2008

New Beginnings

New beginnings are such amazing things. So often we become so complacent with where we are that we allow ourselves to surrender much of who we are. A new slate with dozens of blank spaces to be filled offers so much opportunity for restoring our souls. The tendency is most likely to merely fill in the blanks with the first thing that shows up… to duplicate the old… to stay with the familiar. And how much is lost if we succumb to that temptation.

In choosing a new life in a new environment, I've learned that I'm not quite as unique as I believed myself to be… imagine that! In my 'old' life I was surrounded by people with values and goals that were radically different than mine… a life view that in no way resonated with who I know myself to be.
Faced with a situation that requires me to make new connections… step outside my comfort zone… and build new relationships, I'm finding that there are like-minded people in the world after all. People who believe the same things are important that I do… people whose priorities are similar to mine… people who organize their time around the same things that I value. People with a deep current of something intangible and indefinable that runs through everything they do and governs their choices and attitudes.

I've learned that while I can't have every whim of my heart… I can have the life I want… chock full of the things that I put value on and in. I'm not helpless or dependent or witless or insignificant. I am a woman who has been empowered to reach for the life she wants. I deserve it… and I'm capable of reaching it. My heart doesn't have to struggle with could have been's… or might be's… or that 'meantime living' that I talked about a few days ago.

My life is now… and it's just waiting for me to get on board.

No comments: